Visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
34 miles north of the San Diego Zoo in Escondido, visitors have a rare opportunity to witness 3,500 animals representing 429 species roaming throughout the 1,800-acre San Diego California Wild Animal Park. Included in the admission price, you will take a 60-minute ride on a monorail which takes you through varying landscapes from Africa to Asia. You may also choose to join a Photo Caravan, where you can get up-close to the animals in places inaccessible to the public.
Experience a unique adventure at the 2,100-acre preserve where animals wander freely in surroundings much like their native homelands. A quiet monorail, pathways and animal shows enable visitors to observe the animals and many species of exotic plants. Truly a zoo unlike traditional zoos. San Diego Wild Animal Park 15500 San Pasqual Valley Road, CA, 92027 Fall hours are in effect: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (grounds close at 5 p.m.). Hours fluctuate seasonally. Child ticket valid for ages 3-11.
With a 32-acre Heart of Africa walking safari, Wgasa Bush Line Railway, Lorikeet Landing, Nairobi Village, and Condor Ridge, a visit to the San Diego Wild Animal Park is like a safari to many of the world’s most exotic places. Set against the native habitat of the San Pasqual Valley, the Park also features lush botanical gardens. It is a facility designed first for the animals, and second for the people who come to observe them. Nearing the end of its third decade of study and preservation, it remains, as dubbed at its birth, “the zoo of the future.”
About San Diego Zoo Safari Park
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park used to be known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Regardless of its name change, however, it is still one of the top attractions in San Diego offering fun for all ages. The Safari Park features 1,800 acres of habitat for wildlife and stunning creatures inside, and it sits just a short drive from downtown San Diego and Downtown San Diego.
If you want to see rare, endangered, and foreign animals in habitats that are as close to their natural environment as a zoo can get, come to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and prepared to be amazed. Most San Diego visitors to the Safari Park immediately realize why the Park is considered one of the top things to do in San Diego.
Why Visit San Diego Zoo Safari Park
At the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, view beautiful animals from the continents of Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia. Attractions in San Diego like the Safari Park provide a much more awesome animal encounter than a typical zoo does.
The Safari Park is spread out to make the animal’s environment look much more like their natural homes than you’ll see at other animal parks. Instead of viewing these gorgeous creatures in cages, you’ll get to spy on them walking through the grounds with their herds and watch them basking in open vistas that are similar to where they would normally gather.
Tips for Visiting San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Ride the African Tram at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which will take you through the African exhibits. The tram passes by free-roaming animals like giraffes, antelopes, buffaloes, rhinos, and even cranes.
- The Safari Park is located near Escondido, California (off State Route 78), a short drive from Downtown San Diego Hotels, so you can easily get there by car, taxi, or bus.
- The animal habitats are very spread out at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, so you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- If you’re visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in the summer months, make sure you bring sunscreen to keep yourself protected, as Attractions in San Diego like this one are entirely outdoors. Pack a jacket and pants, if needed, during the rest of the year.
Interesting Facts About San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park houses the world’s largest veterinary hospital.
- The Safari Park keeps more than 3,500 species of plants on its grounds.
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is one of the top things to do in San Diego, seeing more than 2 million visitors annually.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park Location and Contact Information
It is like an animal Safari within the county of San Diego. Summer hours are 9am to 8pm. But the hour’s open depend on the time of year. (here) for hours and information. It is in Escondido about an hour from downtown.
It is a fantastic place to see animals in a safari setting. It is owned and run by the San Diego Zoo.
The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is located at 15500 San Pasqual Valley Road, Escondido, CA 92027 – Tel: 760.747.8702
The Wild Animal Park is at 15500 San Pasqual Valley Road, Escondido, California 92027-7017. For general information, call 760-747-8702. Distance between the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park is 35 miles. (take the 15 Freeway north)