Want to stay at a rockstar sea view hotel in San Diego without spending an arm and a leg? You can. San Diego is one of the largest tourist destinations in California, boasting plenty of sunshine, spectacular views, amazing nightlife, Sea World, famous attractions, and more. All that said, it’s still very possible to get a fantastic deal on sea view hotels. How do you do it?
Check Online Deal Sites
Online deal sites work carefully with hotels to package saving opportunities for consumers. When a hotel has more vacancies than they think they can fill, they go to deal sites to help them sell their rooms for cheap. Deal sites also often buy rooms in bulk to get massive discounts, then pass on those savings to consumers.
Check deal sites for deals on different hotels. If your travel dates are flexible, check out dates for a few different days. San Diego often hosts conventions and other big events, which can drive up prices for a few days.
Also, check out group buying sites like Groupon. These sites often have specials on hotels and accommodations.
Call Hotels and Ask for Deals
Did you know that hotel rooms are negotiable? You might get quoted a certain rate upfront, but if you ask for a discount you can often get it. Of course, you can’t just come out and ask to pay less. Here are a few tips for getting better deals:
- Ask if you can get a better deal per night if you stay longer. If they offer you the room for $159 a night, ask if you can get them for $120 a night if you stay for 3 or 4 nights.
- Instead of calling to ask for prices, call and ask for promotions and specials.
- Name drop. If you know anyone who stays at the hotel often, or if you know any local personalities, say their name on the phone.
- Check for a credit card or other membership discounts. Black card AMEX members, AAA members, and other kinds of clubs will often have standing discounts with hotels.
- Ask for off-season rates if you’re going to be staying in the off-season.
- Write down the details of the deal and always remember to write down the name of the person you spoke with.
- If you can’t get a discount on the price, see if you can get freebies thrown in. For example, get a free drink voucher for the bar or a free breakfast coupon.
What Hotels Should You Stay At?
Here are some of the best sea-view hotels in San Diego for you to consider.
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
1 Market Place, San Diego, CA 92101-7714
The Manchester Grand Hyatt is truly a sight to behold. It’s right next to the water, near the city’s shopping and dining district. If you get a room facing the ocean, you’ll be perfectly positioned to see one of the most beautiful sunsets the city has to offer.
The hotel also has an enormous pool and sundeck. There’s a spa, tennis courts, basketball courts, badminton courts, volleyball courts, and more. Of course, the hotel also has a fully equipped gym, with both cardio and weight training equipment.
Best Western Mission Bay
2575 Clairemont Dr, San Diego, CA 92117; 619-275-5700
This hotel is situated just minutes away from Mission Bay. You can see the beach and the ocean right from your window. Whether you’re into fishing, sailing, or swimming, the Best Western Mission Bay’s location can’t be beaten.
It’s also near Sea World, the Wild Animal Park as well as Old Town San Diego.
723 Felspar Street Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109; 858-270-2323
Tower 23 is a world-acclaimed hotel, designed with a minimalist philosophy. The rooms look spectacular yet modern and simple. Sailing, hiking trips, diving expeditions, and waterskiing adventures can all be arranged from the hotel’s desk. Tower 23 is one of the few hotels that offer free internet.
Catamaran Resort and Spa
3999 Mission Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92109-6959; 858-488-1081
The Catamaran is a sea-view hotel with a world-class view. Because the hotel has over 300 rooms, it’s not uncommon to find the Catamaran offering deals online. They have a full gym and boat service, as well as an in-house Turkish bath, massage service, and sauna.
Finding the perfect sea view hotel in San Diego doesn’t have to be expensive. Just follow the tips above to help get a great deal on hotels. Make sure to take a look at the pictures of the view to get a sense of the ambiance before you book your room.